Thursday, January 2, 2014

Teaching

While looking for my NSO BC earlier, I found a letter given by a former student. I remember how surprised I was to see that letter on my table. And I wouldn't deny that I cried after reading that.

Those who knows my story knows that I didn't dream of becoming a teacher. I didn't see myself becoming one. But life has its own surprises. I did become a teacher and it was my first profession.

I am not the best teacher. In fact, I am seldom recognized to be a good one. I guess it was because I have an unconventional way of teaching. I wasn't trained to teach but I knew what I needed to impart. In my five years in the academe, I think I received all the possible insults and criticisms. Even from my superiors. I was even used and abused. Some of it are valid because I had my shortcomings too. But most, they are borne out of students' wrongly founded judgments. And at a point, I took all these criticisms in to a point where I don't know  how to teach anymore. So, I had to leave as it would be unfair to my students.

But life has its way to surprise you more. I left teaching but I am still teaching up to now. My new career allows me too. Of course the criticisms are still there and the prejudices thrown at me because I am from the academe. But I've learned not to take it all in. For I know that despite the imperfections of my teaching, in a way, I have contributed to the success of my students.

Above all, the best reward of teaching, I have found best friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment